McAfee in Live Video Q&A: 'I Had Absolutely Nothing to Do With the Murder in Belize.'

McAfee in Live Video Q&A: 'I Had Absolutely Nothing to Do With the Murder in Belize'

McAfee in Live Video
www.mashable.com

John McAfee reiterated his innocence in a live video session Sunday night, during which he updated viewers on his current situation, and answered questions from the press.

Wearing black square-frame glasses and sporting a goatee and mustache, the former tech entrepreneur who is wanted in connection to the murder of American expat Gregory Faull, hosted the news conference from a bare white room while in custody at a Guatemalan jail. McAfee was arrested for illegally entering Guatemala after fleeing to the country from Belize, where local authorities want him for questioning.

“Did I kill Mr. Faull? No. Let me be clear: I had absolutely nothing to do with the murder in Belize," he said.

McAfee, 67, added that his relationship with Faull was virtually nonexistent. "I barely knew the man. I've spoken perhaps 50 words to him over a period of five years. I did not particularly care for him."

The Belize government's desire to question him, McAfee claimed, has nothing to do with Faull's murder. "Since April of last year, the Belizean government has been trying to level charge after charge against me -- all of them groundless, none of them sticking. This is simply the latest in that chain."

The founder and former head of anti-virus software company McAfee said he and his girlfriend Samantha hope to return to the United States. McAfee has been in touch with the U.S. embassy "a number of times," but called it "powerless to interfere within the laws of other countries."

He mentioned England as another potential place to settle, but was adamant that he could never return to Belize, particularly after launching his blog "The Hinterland." In it, McAfee details alleged corruption by the Belize government, and his experiences hiding from police.

"The issues that I am discussing are hurting the government; they're hurting tourism," McAfee said, adding that it raided his home multiple times while he was in hiding. "The government was mad at me before. They are seriously mad at me now. There is no hope for my life if I ever to return to Belize."

"I don't think I can, not unless there's a change in government and a serious decline in corruption."

In the video, which addressed inquiries from Mashable, McAfee also condemned the media for portraying him as a "paranoid schizophrenic." He said he started blogging to "get the truth out," and to put pressure on the Belizean government.

Calling it "the worst drug on the planet," McAfee also denied reports that he has taken bath salts (synthetic drugs similar to amphetamine and cocaine). "I do not take drugs, and have not taken drugs for over 30 years."

Starting Sunday at 8 p.m. ET, McAfee hosted two separate video sessions: The first was an introduction lasting less than five minutes, and the second was a Q&A that continued for nearly 15 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment